Re: ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted

  • From: Kerry Osborne <kerry.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: po04541@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:28:07 -0500

Assuming you don't have a backup that you could use, Toon Koppelaars wrote a good paper on an approach to recovering almost all the data from a table that has a corrupt block or two. Here's a link to the paper:

I used his technique a couple of years ago on a 10g database and posted about it here: .

If you don't have a backup and getting most of the data back is OK (i.e. loosing only the records in any blocks that are actually corrupt), then this approach may work for you. I my case, we only lost about 120 records out of close to a billion.

Kerry Osborne

On Mar 22, 2010, at 4:34 PM, patrick obrien wrote:

Hello my good oracle friends,

( to start out, thanks for all of your help with my past problems. )

Oracle Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release - Production
I've got the following importing, not sure the best fix?? thank you!

Mead:oracle$ exp parfile=AD_OBJATCH.par

Export: Release - Production on Mon Mar 22 14:27:16 2010

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release - Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release - Production
Export done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and WE8ISO8859P1 NCHAR character set

About to export specified tables via Conventional Path ...
Current user changed to AMS_AFINADM
. . exporting table                     AD_OBJATCH
EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1578 encountered
ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 54, block # 345609)
ORA-01110: data file 54: '/u10/dbs/fsco/object02.dbf'
Export terminated successfully with warnings.