Re: New to Oracle 9i...Increasing SGA parameters.

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:47:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Denham Eva <EVAD@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> Once again very confused about what is going on.
> After some rtfming I am no clearer on how to adjust
> and manipulate the
> SGA or Oracle 9i's memory handling.
> Does anyone have a good resource on the net which
> follows a by example
> format to explaining how to increase memory and its
> parameters?

9.2, right?
I never installed 9.0.1, so I'm entirely unqualified
to comment on it, and won't.

how about nuking the entire deal and selecting a % of
physical memory for oracle to allocate?
it involves the least amount of thinking.
for a single database instance, give it half.

if not, try these:

shared_pool + java_pool + large_pool + log_buffer +
db_cache_size <= sga_max_size

pga_aggregate_target does not intersect with
sga_max_size.

sga_max_size + pga_aggregate_target <<
max(process_limit, physical_memory - OS overhead).

follow me so far?

in 8.1.7, the db_block_buffers was in db_blocks (e.g.
8192 bytes) not in bytes (K, M, G)

in 9.2, db_cache_size is in bytes (or K, M, G).

that may be the disconnect that is causing you grief.

a 4 MB buffer cache sounds familiar of a 7.3.3 db
created by the dbca just past the missing link, with
autoextend set at a single block (4 KB) on datafiles
by default.

4 MB is the smallest chunk size that can be allocated.
logon to crucial.com, grab yourself 1 GB of mem and
start cranking with a 16 MB chunk size.

we've come so far, and yet ...

Pd