RE: New Post on DBA 3.0 on my blog

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:50:47 -0400

Robert,

    Read your blog entry and it seems that you've BTDT, which I have as
well.  Corporate culture does get in the way, so doesn't upper
management prejudice.  At one time this place use to be HP-UX and Linux
period.  Now it's Windoze and SUN Solaris.  Reason, change in the IT
corner office and not for the better.  For the life of me I can't figure
out why Linux isn't a Unix based operating system in their minds.  Maybe
it's the hardware that looks, smells, and feels like it should be a
Windows environment.  Or possibly that they believe that Unix can only
run on large, expensive hardware.  Maybe it's their opinion that only
Windows runs on x86 based stuff.  Who knows, I can't figure it out.

    Which leads to a lot of the problems with trying to be a DBA 3.0.
Many times before the party announcements are sent out the hardware and
OS, and sometimes even the RDBMS are already a done deal, no room for
change.  A project I was involved with not that long ago the development
tools were already selected, purchased, and a number of people already
hired to make it happen.  The Operations/sysadmins and us were only
expected to install and power it up.  Heck, even the data model had been
created by an outside consultant with no input from the techies in
house.  And I wish it was one off incident.  We've a data warehouse
being built by consultants in the UK who were so cavalier as to toss the
data model built here without comment or consideration.  They came up
with a beast that takes hours to ELT and we're suppose to make it
replicate to several sites at 15 minute intervals, yeah right.  OH, BTW
no one told the network folks either who are now up in arms because we
consume so much bandwidth all day.  And this project didn't think it was
necessary to budget for hardware and software to house the database or
web servers, because they could piggy back on existing installations.
After all, it's just another Oracle or Tomcat instance isn't it???  Same
consideration for DR too.  And the portal developers are going nuts too
since their screens that worked just dandy on the old data model now
crawl because according to the consultants, you don't need indexes, they
only slow things down.  And did I mention that this is a totally
denormalized schema?  1GB in, 100GB out.  OH Bother!!

    So it was a real surprise when I was invited to a party last week
where all of the pieces only exist on paper and that hand scrawled to
boot.  Nothing set in concrete, lots not even thought about other than
to put a place holder on the paper.  Nice, they handed me a sheet with
nothing but questions on it that started with "Can we...." or "Is it
possible...." or "What if....".  This one is shaping up to be fun.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader