Re: NLS params difference

  • From: Maria Gurenich <gurenich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:44:27 -0400

Hi Max,

I know what you mean and this is all true unless you bounce your database
after issuing: "alter system set nls_length_semantics='CHAR' scope=both;"
I restarted this DB many times after that. I changed it manually in init.ora
file... I created spfile from this pfile, bounced it again and it still
shows the different values. Not really sure why.... And even more, if the
'show param bla" gives me the value for current session, then
nls_database_parameters should have prefenrences... But all my tables, that
had VARCHAR2(9) now have VARCHAR2(9  CHAR).. That leads me to think that I
am good and the sematics is CHAR, but I still have doubts..

Thanks,

[oracle@tds dbs]$ cat initprod8.ora | grep nls_length*
*.nls_length_semantics='CHAR'