Multithreaded ksh cold backup script needed

  • From: Thomas Pall <tompall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:56:56 -0500

I have the requirement for a ksh script which I suspect has been
written and debugged by many of my fellow DBAs.  If you have anything
close which meets the specs, would you mind sharing me with it?

The requirements are:

1) Runs ksh
2) Performs cold backup (database already shut down normal)
3) Input parameters are
    a) a regular expression which defines the location of the database files
    b) target location
    c) the maximum number of threads
4) Outputs are
    a) files copied and/or gzipped from source destination to target destination
    b) a log file containing the location/name of each file copied
and/or gzipped
    c) some visibility into how the backup is proceeding
5) The script picks up the source spec and target location of the
backups.  It spawns copy or gzip jobs up to maximum number of threads.
 When a copy and/or gzip completes, the file name/spec of the source
file is appended to a log file that will be used for restore.  The
script sleeps then checks if the maximum number of threads/jobs
specified in the third parameter passed to the script are still
running.  When needed, it kicks off more jobs/threads.  It does this
until all the source files are copied and or gzipped over to the
target destination.