Multiple ASM instances on 2-node RAC Cluster

  • From: "Brian Lucas" <moabrivers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:26:26 -0700

I have a situation where I want to have two Oracle 10g2 Homes on my 2-node
RAC cluster that ASM already uses ASM.  The reason: I want two distinct
production environment, one that stays fairly consistent with patches and
the other that is allowed to diverge (stay at older releases).  I can't
share the same ASM home because the ASM binaries reside in the Oracle home
and if I patch it, I have to down ASM which means shutting down all
production databases.  I want the second ASM instance to be RAC enabled so
that this new home's services can span both nodes.

Can this be done?  Does anyone have a setup like this?  What are the issues
you've encountered, if any?

Thanks
Brian