RE: Move to new hardware and upgrade o/s

  • From: "Cunningham, Mike" <mcunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx" <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 10:41:17 -0700

Hi Kumar, we do something similar to what you are discussing.  When I have a
new server that will re place an old server here is what we do.  Assume old
server is named *svrprd*.

1)      Build new server and name it svrprdnew (ip is not important at this
point).

2)      Install all necessary software (oracle, agents, etc.)

a.       In this case I would install both the same oracle version as on svrprd
and the new version in a different oracle home

3)      Also, prepare filesystems as you have stated.

Now come the maintenance window to put new server into service.  It takes me
about 45 minutes on average, but we have the ability to be down on weekends.

4)      Move databases from srvprd to svrprdold

5)      Rename svrprd to srvprdold and give it a new ip address.  Restart
network.

6)      Rename svrprdnew to srvprd and give it the proper ip address so it is
the same as original srvprd server.  Reboot.

At this time, when the new srvprd server is finished with the reboot nobody in
the organization should even realize the hardware changed.  All host names and
ip addresses are as they were originally.

When the appropriate time arrives to upgrade the databases you will already
have the new oracle home ready for the upgrade.

I hope this helps and I’m sorry I don’t use ASM so I can’t offer help in that
area, but I would suppose that should work fine.

Michael Cunningham
Senior Database Administrator
The Doctors' Company
707.226.0221 - desk