Logical Domains for Oracle RAC (Sun T5440)

  • From: Ravi Gaur <ravigaur1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle list <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:52:29 -0600

We are trying to bring in some Sun T5440 (will run Oracle RAC) for a new
application and are working with Oracle on some licensing issues.
One idea that came up was to create a virtualized env (Logical Domains) in
an effort to reduce the # of cores presented and still purchase the
equipment (ultimately get the Oracle licensing cost within the budget). In
an year or so, when the application load increases, we can then scale up the
CPUs and buy the extra licenses at that time.

Anyone has any experiences to share running RAC (10gR2 at this pt) in
Solaris 10 LDom env? Any concerns/gotchas that we should be aware of?

TIA,

- Ravi Gaur