Linx and kernel config shmmax
- From: "CRISLER, JON A (ATTCORP)" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
- To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 00:25:59 -0500
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having really large or many smaller shared memory segments ? Lets say I have a 64gb machine, and I set up shmmax to support at least 64gb, maybe even more. My db does not use anything close to 64g of memory. Is there any drawbacks to this behavior? What if I have a really large db, but I force it to use many smaller 4g or 8gb segments to make up the entire sga ? We did some very limited internal testing on this and could not come up with a firm opinion on which is better.
Other related posts:
- » Linx and kernel config shmmax - CRISLER, JON A (ATTCORP)
- » Re: Linx and kernel config shmmax - Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha