Re: Linux migration - Impact analysis

  • From: "Sylvester, Peter A." <peters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:37:06 -0500

If you look at the MHz rating of the SPARC cores versus Intel/AMD you probably
find X86 only needs half the core count to do similar work.
Now that number is just pulled out of the air, but I have seen small apps go
twice as fast moving from SPARC to x86 hardware.
You will need to test your apps to see how it actually works out.
Given that Oracle charges by the core I would go for the fastest cores
available.
If you need something more heavyweight look at Sun's X4600 (32 core AMD) or
X4450 (24 core Intel).

--Peter