Inserting Large Amount of Data into LONG

  • From: "Magaliff, Bill" <Bill.Magaliff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:51:29 -0400

Hello:

I have an engineer who would like to insert roughly 11K into a LONG column
through SQL.  It's ASCII "formatted" data (with carriage returns, spaces,
etc.) that we will receive via XML.  We can massage, reformat as needed but
it needs to go into a LONG (using CLOB not an option due to other
application incompatibilities).

Straight SQL doesn't work (length of the quoted string too long) and I tried
creating a Stored Proc to handle it, but I get Invalid Sql Statement - due I
think to the presence of the carriage returns, which Oracle is not
recognizing as a continuation from the previous line.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks

-bill magaliff