Re: I was told there would be no (date) math

  • From: Michael Ebert <mebert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:34:28 +0200

I expect it has to do with "Abstract DataType (DATE in this case)
semantics". You can subtract a Date from a Date; the result is a number of
days (a difference). You can subtract a number of days from a date; the
result is a date. That's how your second example gets resolved. In your
first example, the implicit order of execution would be ((DATE - DATE) -
DATE)  which is (#DAYS-DATE) which is not a defined operation for this
ADT...

Dr. Michael Ebert
DB2 & Oracle Database Administrator
aMaDEUS Data Processing