How much RAM is to much

  • From: "Storey, Robert \(DCSO\)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:02:36 -0600

So, I'm moving my 9i 32 bit database to a 10g 64 bit database.  My 9i
box has 4 gig of ram and the usual 23bit limitations. My SGA and such on
the 9i box probably hovers around 1.2gig.

I have 24 gig of ram on the new box.  From a data aspect, that will darn
near load my entire database to memory.

So, in setting SGA_TARGET, how much is too much?  Before I was told the
box specs, I was thinking 3 gig.  But, with 24 gig available, and I'm
the ONLY application on the box....how much is to much?

What are the benefits and cons to setting this value at say, 12gig, with
a SGA_MAX value of 15G.