[OT ?] How even good DBAs can make mistakes

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:42:53 +0800

Appropos all the recent emails about good advice / bad advice,
newbies etc etc
well ...
today someone in particular [whom I know VERY WELL but shall not name
in this line of this email] ran the following commands

su -
cd /u06/ORA817_Install_CDs
ls -l
<showed another ORA817_Install_CDs directory extracted from a TAR file>
mv ORA817_Install_CDs /* .

<note the small SPACE between the "s" and the "/" >

Bang !  /bin, /cluster, /dev, /etc got moved before this person
could hit <CTRL-C> only after seeing some error messages of the
"cannot unlink ..." type.

Fortunately, this Oracle DBA who had been given the root password
did not logout of the telnet session but requested the Unix Administrator
to come over to his cubicle.
Of course, fresh telnets were failing so the same session was used
to move /bin, /dev, /cluster, /etc back into place.  The server kept
running, the Database kept running.

Sometimes we ALL make embarrassing mistakes.

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

All the suffering in the world arises out of wanting happiness for self.
All happiness in the world arises out of wanting happiness for others.
- Shantideva