RE: HW-enqueue wait (ASSM)

  • From: "Wolfson Larry - lwolfs" <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:00:51 -0500

Try
alter system set "_insert_enable_hwm_brokered"=false
  We had a similar problem and got a response from Jonathan Lewis.
Then OS came up with the same thing after we prodded them.

    Larry

According to v$lock_type, the HV enqueue is a:

"Lock used to broker the high water mark during parallel inserts"

At a guess, this means that Oracle is sharing a single extent across
multiple PX slaves while loading instead of using one extent per slave.

There seem to be two hidden parameters that might have an impact:

Name Default value Description

_ctas_hwm_brokered_loads = TRUE Enable HWM brokered CTAS

_insert_enable_hwm_brokered = TRUE during parallel inserts high water
marks

are brokered

There is also a hint HWM_BROKERED which may turn it on, but I can't see
a hint that looks like the opposite.

It's only a problem if the time spent on the HV enqueue is a significant
fraction of the total time to load - bearing in mind that the total time
is (probably) shared fairly evenly across the PX slaves - so you may
want to divide by the number of slaves before comparing.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis