Global Index Vs Global Partition Index

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:51:00 -0700 (PDT)

I am working on Yearly partition Maintenance script which is on 1 T Table with
5 Partition of around 200G. Table has several indexes like 5-6 and all are
Global Index. Maintenance is doing exchange partition and then rebuilding index
as Exchange Partition is making the index unusable and so taking lots of
downtime due to critical and comman table. So it is taking lots of time as well
as generating lots of Log due to Database in LOGGING Mode

So I modified the exchange partriton to incldued UPDATE Global Index clause and
so it work much faster as only Partition is tocuhed and so both Time and Logs
are reduced.

Now question is what is difference between Creating GLOBAL index vs GLOBAL
Partitioned index and where GLOBAL index is preferred over the latter.

TIA