RE: Expanding varchar2 column

  • From: "Strickland, Mark" <mark.strickland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lnd@xxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:15:39 -0800

Thank you!

        -----Original Message-----
        From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Laimutis Nedzinskas
        Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 6:40 AM
        To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: RE: Expanding varchar2 column

        Table size never affected the speed of this particular operation on any
Oracle version for us, for any heap organized table, partitioned or not. Did it
a lot of times, was never a problem.
        Actually, problems appear after the modification.

        BTW: Oracle was saying that data type length and precision modifiers
are check constraints in fact, data is still stored in a variable length format
(at least for varchar2 and number.)