Re: Double database load.

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Patamalla, Chaya" <chaya.patamalla@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> One of my application said that the load on the
> database will double in =
> the month of September.  They will be rolling out
> the app. to lot more =
> people.
> What are the precautions I need to take besides
> space?
> How do I know if the SGA is enough?  It is a
> datawarehouse.
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

> Thanks

> Chaya Patamalla=20
> I/T Database Administrator=20

I'd recommending determining what hardware, operating
system, oracle database software version, network
adapters, storage contollers, disk subsystems are in
place, along with usage profiles. If you can find the
main current bottleneck, you'll be able to predict a
less wild-as-guess with a higher confidence interval.

instead, you could just raise all the values (to
eleven - "lets have everything louder than everything
else"*). when you can't start the instance due to the
sga being too large, you went too far and should back
off.

At least they gave you until September.
test all of your settings out on your test system (if
you have one). if not, see if you can down this system
over a weekend to test the changes.
If you need to order hardware - you have 60 days from
today to make it happen. That's not alot of time.

you might want to get it up on the latest version and
patchset that is stable for your (unnamed) operating
system and oracle database software version.

the other approach, is to wait until a week into
september, when it will be much easier to find the
bottleneck, and no predicting will be necessary. :)

Pd

*deep purple, made in europe, forget the year.