RE: Do you use KEEP Buffer Pool in your production system?

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kamusis@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle_l" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 07:24:34 -0500

I'm with Tom on this for sure.  It's a pain in the neck to have a keep
(or recycle) pool in the end.  I've been on a couple of customer sites
that use it. One didn't seem to have a really good idea of what they are
doing with it and I suspect they would be better off with out it.  They
had the basic misunderstanding that it was really "keeping" the buffers
in cache.  They decided to continue using it even after we discovered
that it was likely doing no one any good, mostly because they were
afraid to change it.  The old "it ain't broke" kind of thinking.

Another site fully understood how it worked and was using it effectively
form a management point of view, but it was not clear if it was really
helping performance.  The users perceived it was helping and in the end
that is was all the mattered for them.

Ric Van Dyke

Hotsos Enterprises

Hotsos Symposium