RE: Disk space did not release

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ecandrietta@xxxxxxxxx>, "'David Roberts'" <big.dave.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 12:30:32 -0400

The remaining space probably has some file handle still holding it open. So
the inodes are unlinked and unless you really muck around the file will be
gone when whatever is holding it open stops holding it open. Then the
additional free space should re-appear.

Under some circumstances with NFS mounts there can be a lag in updating the
details of the file system contents in a race condition safe way. Every case
of this I have ever seen can be resolved on demand by an umount and mount
operation. Some errors may spew and/or you may have an additional wait for
the umount if something has this open. If you have any software overlay on
your filesystems that preserves deleted things you may have to empty your
trash.

Other folks have already detailed how to figure out file handles and owning
processes.

That's all I can think of right now.

mwf

From: "Marko Sutic" <marko.sutic@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ecandrietta@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Disk space did not release
Date: Sun, May 18, 2014 11:34 AM

Hello Eriovaldo,

you should run "DROP TABLESPACE TEMP2 INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES;" to
drop file and release space on disk.

Now you have to delete file manually to release space on disk.

Regards,

Marko

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Eriovaldo Andrietta
<ecandrietta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi friends,

I had a temporary tablespace TEMP02 in the instance.

I ran:
$ df -h .
/dev/f1/fold1      493G  154G  339G  32% /l/disk67

After it I ran :
select * from dba_temp_files;
I got the file :  /l/disk67/app/oracle/oradata/instance_name/temp02.dbf

I ran:
drop tablespace TEMP2;

So I immediately ran

$ df -h .
/dev/f1/fold1      493G  154G  339G  32% /l/disk67

and the spaces was not released. It keeps with 339G  Avail

The SO is Linux

The database is 11g

What is wrong ?

Disk space should be released immediately?

Regards

Eriovaldo