RE: Difference Between RMAN Incremental and Full Backups - Driving me Nuts!

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:49:45 -0700

I have been running incremental backups on AIX5.3 with CIO for years now
and haven't had any problems, but I'm also running 10.2.0.2 database and
Netbackup, so not exactly the same setup.  In 10g, you don't have to
mount the filesystems with the cio option - you just set
filesystemio_options=setall and then Oracle opens the datafiles with the
CIO flag.

I found bug 4034775 on Metalink which talks about some performance
problems with backups on AIX and they suggest setting AIXTHREAD_SCOPE=S
so you might want to try that if you haven't already.  I do have it set
in my environment.

I don't have any idea why the full would run so much better than the
incremental.  Did you try implementing the block change tracking file?
Any improvement from that?  It should dramatically reduce the number of
disk I/Os required for the incremental backup and in my case it reduced
my backup runtime from about 2 hours to 2 minutes.

Regards,
Brandon