Re: Datafile size - Is bigger better?

  • From: "Thomas Day" <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:11:21 -0500

"if it were not for the OFA we can pretty much live with putting all files
on one single Unix mount"

I'd like to hear a discussion on this point.  Since the datafiles are
S.A.M.E.d and (unless you work closely with your SA) you have no control
over where they're going, does it make sense to put them on different
logical mounts?  I could see it if I could be sure of getting different
physical devices but I don't see the rationale for just different logical
devices.

Right now I put all my develoment and test databases on one logical mount.
I makes it easy to restore the database to a known condition after testers
and developers have been messing with it.  I haven't had the chance to do it
with a production database, yet.