Re: Data Guard vs Streams for a RAC database

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mdinh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:05:51 +0000

It isn't true that development of streams has stopped after the acquisition
of Golden Gate. (Or arguably that Data Guard is easy to implement for RAC
databases). It is true that GoldenGate is the strategic direction. That
doesn't mean existing functionality will be abandoned or not developed. In
fact the history of these things shows both that development does continue
and that the streams (sorry) of development tend to merge over time. The
statement of direction clearly states that Streams will continue to be
supported (as well as talking about including streams functionality in GG).
You can't do fixes of features without development.

It may be true that GG (or shareplex or A.N. Other non-oracle replication
solution) is appropriate for a particular case, but I wouldn't have said
that non-development of capabilities that don't exist yet in the product
would be a reason to exclude a product from evaluation for current purposes.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA