RE: Data Guard

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:19:37 +0200

I don't understand the 'ease' of DNS-changing. Why hassling with yet
another system (The DNS server) if you can arrange the whole thing
locally on your database server? I use the multiple listener thing,
there's another method using service-registration: let only the services
representing the roles of your database be registered at the listener.
With both methods all of the failover stuff can be handled at DBA level:
no network guys or SA's needed to change the DNS, no flushing of the DNS
cache (or even rebooting?) of potentially tens or hundreds of machines
needed. The less people involved, the easier and smoother a failover
operation will work.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===