Re: DR with ASM

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 11:56:10 +0300

If you replicate the data files and log files synchronously then the general procedure should be: 1. Put you production database in a consistent state - put the database in backup mode or shut it down.

2. Split the replication.
3. Startup  production /  take the production database out of backup mode.
4. Open the DR replica. If you shut down the production simply start it up. If you used hot backup do an incomplete recovery.

The following PDF details how to do storage based backups with ASM, the principle should be the same:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/pdf/asm-on-emc-5_3.pdf

Harel Safra

On 08/05/2010 00:23, Ram Raman wrote:
Thanks Harel.
We use EMC storage based synchronous replication. No Oracle based solutions are used. We have a 2 node RAC in the primary site. In the DR site, it will be a single instance/node server where we will have to bring up the DB.

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Could you give us some more details about your DR solution? How do
    you replicate the data (data guard, storage replication,...)? What
    servers do you have in the DR site? etc.

    Harel Safra
    (Sent from my phone, excuse the terseness)

    ב-07/05/2010, בשעה 23:38, Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>> כתב/ה:

    Hi
    We are getting ready for a DR exercise of one of our newly built
    applications. It is a 11g RAC application on DMX3 with ASM. Is
    there a white paper for this or does anyone have procedures they
    followed.  Our backups go into the ASM too.
    Thanks.