RE: DB RAID Setup

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rob.Dempsey@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:05:37 -0500

Personal opinion here, but weighted by years of doing this job.  The
only raid method that I've become comfortable with is raid 1+0 or RAID
10.  This is mirroring where there are two copies of the data on two
separate spindles.  It is the easiest to implement at the OS level and
performance wise.  Yes, raid 5 does make more of the disk space
"available" to the os and consequently the database, so it "appears" to
be less costly, but Raid 5 does have to "compute parity" for the spare
drive so that in the event of a disk failure the system can continue to
run, although at a reduced rate because of the reconstruction that has
to happen for the failed disk.  Problem, what do you do when 2 or more
disk fail in quick succession, OOPS.  Sure this can happen in a raid10
setup, but much less likely.  Also with raid 10 you can put the database
into hot backup mode, split the mirrors, reset the db, and continue with
life while the backup happens in the background using the split out
mirror.  Afterwards you re-join the mirrors & they sync quickly..
Pretty darn close to a cold backup at no extra cost, depending on your
san vendor.  You can't do that with RAID5.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International
978.313.3426
 information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please destroy any copies, contact the