Re: Crystal Reports and the IdiotManager(TM)

  • From: Bricklen Anderson <bricklen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 07:23:28 -0700

Hi Don,
not having used Crystal, I can't speak for it, although Nuno seems to have
information about how it works. Two things immediately come to mind though, as
alternatives:
i. the summary tables that you mentioned, either as materialized views or as
smaller aggregate tables that could be populated via jobs etc. (triggers in
your
situation would likely be a death blow)
ii. Roll your own reports. We had a situation where Oracle reports just
couldn't
do what we were asking it to do (complex 3d reports), so we went with perl and
GD::Graph (http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/GD/MVERB/?C=M;O=D). The benefit is
that you can tweak the sql and the rest of the code however you wish, and can
make changes on the fly. The downside is that it's you that has to do it, not
the vendor.

Just thought I'd chime in with something a bit different, although it's not
really going to help much with your current situation. If you'd like more
information, just drop me a line.

Cheers,

Bricklen