Cross Platform Database Migration Using TTS from Cooked Filesystem to ASM (OMF - I Hope)

  • From: David Barbour <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:26:42 -0600

Good Morning,

We're running Oracle 11.2.0.3 on HPUX 64-bit Itanium using conventional
cooked filesystems.  Need to move this to a Linux x86 64-bit, also running
11.2.0.3.  Due to the size of this thing, I'd like to use transportable
tablespaces.  I've done this before using cooked filesystem to cooked file
system, and asm to asm, but never from cooked to asm.  I don't anticipate
any problems, but I'd like to end up with OMF names.

I plan to convert the tablespaces on the source and put the resulting
converted files into a directory I can nfs mount to the new server.

The metadata will be extracted using DataPump.  When I've got the converted
files attached to the new server and invoke impdp with the
TRANSPORT_DATAFILES= parameter, will these automatically be converted to
OMF if I have the db_create_file_dest set to the ASM data volume for this
database?

Any useful insights regarding the move gained through experience would be
appreciated as well.