RE: Connection between Oracle on Unix and SQL Server

  • From: "Duret, Kathy" <kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:00:55 -0500

First of all, if the application is very stable on sqlserver and you don't
have to take the sql server database down regularly!  Our app on sqlserver
S**Ks and I am trying to get the developers to use a separate JBBC or OBDC
connection to the database instead.

Currently, we are using this datadirect driver (the instructions from them
are very good, $2,000 a processor was what they charged us.)  but there are
alot of caveats/problems.

You really need to get the information you need from sqlserver and get out.
Don't keep any connections open!  I have also seen were these connections
hang the sqlserver database (which in our case with the apps that sits on
top of it is very easy to do).

What happens it that if someone has an open connection to this and the sql
server database goes down,.... you get a lovely core dump for each
connection open from Oracle. And swap and memory use on Oracle goes way up
and almost hangs the database...
e.g. error
ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this
message:
[Generic Connectivity Using ODBC][S1000] [9013]General error in
nvITrans_Commit
- rc = -1.

After you get the heterogeneous connections working, make sure you bounce
the Oracle database ASAP.  Also, I can't remember the details or find my
notes on it but you have to create the database link in Oracle with some
double quotes else you get another fun Oracle error, search Metalink it was
there I believe the error was 27600?

In your oracle home you will need a hs directory and under the admin
directory you need to have a separate initLINKNAME.ora.

e.g. initSQLSERVERSID.ora

# This is a sample agent init file that contains the HS parameters that are
# needed for an ODBC Agent.

#
# HS init parameters
#
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO=msss_sqlserversid
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL=on
HS_FDS_TRACE_FILE_NAME=sqlserversid.trc
HS_FDS_SHAREABLE_NAME=/opt/app/datadirect/lib/libodbc.so

#
# ODBC specific environment variables
#
set ODBCINI=/opt/app/datadirect/odbc.ini

#
# Environment variables required for the non-Oracle system
#
#set <envvar>=<value>

You also need to make additions to your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora

e.g. listener.ora entry
(SID_DESC =
      (sid_name = SQLSERVERSID)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/app/oracle/product/8.1.7)
      (program = hsodbc)
    )
  )
e.g. tnsnames.ora entry
SQLSERVERSID =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = yourhostname)(PORT = portnumber)
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SQLSERVERSID))
    (hs=ok)
  )

Have fun.