Change data capture

  • From: Bagavath <bagavath@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:58:39 -0400

My apologies in advance if this is an absurd question !!

Can we use MV Logs for capturing change data, just like a log table based on
trigger ?  I dont want to create MVs though, as the source table is huge (
would reach 250 GB in an 6 months as per our initial estimate, at which it
will maintained by periodic purging) and this is already a logical standby
for the main application db. What I am thinking is to use the MLOG$ table as
a source to extract the changed records every cycle and then delete the
extracted records from this log table. Also I dont think I can purge the
log, as transactions at that moment will be lost in that case. Not sure if
this is a workable idea..

Since the source is a logical standby database , triggers/cdc/streams are
not working.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks in Advance
Bagavath