Cascading Physical Standbys?

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:42:11 -0500

I am not sure what the official term is. Its when you have

Primary -> Standby -> Standby
DB Version 11g and up.

I work in a large data center. I was talking to another DBA and one of her
customers is doing this. I asked her why we would do this intead of just
using 'multiple arch_dest' locations then write the archive logs to separe
LUNs that under the surface map to separate RAID Groups. Little more work
up front for storage, but when its done its done.

I see a cascading DB as more stuff that can break. The rationale I got is
that

Standby #1 is for report and that Standby #2 is for DR. However, if standby
#2 is not current, then standby #3 is current.

Anyone ever set this up before? I am just looking for rationals for doing
this. I am likely missing something.