Re: CBO irregularity

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:12:00 +0100

Build a test cases with a couple of million rows,
using dbms_random.normal , dbms_random.value,
dbms_random.string, dbms_random.random,
dbms_random.string and trunc(rownum) mod(rownum)
functions.

Run sql_trace whilst you are do the histogram generation
and see what happens.

The last time I tried it, the impact was brutal as Oracle
went through a few passes of trial and error to decide
on a good sample size.

I would advise against it, at present: it seems to do
too much work and generate too many histograms
if left to its own devices.

The impact may be lessened by exercising your
data with deliberate query sets that populate
col_usage$ selectively, though. I haven't got as
far as testing that idea.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st