Beware implementing standby/dataguard databases over slow network

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:59:31 -0700

I was under the false impression that if you had your remote destination
(log_archive_dest_2) configured with ARCH and OPTIONAL, then problems
with transmitting the logs to your standby could not impact the primary
database.  This is very far from the truth - in fact, even this
configuration can very easily bring your primary database to a complete
standstill (at least in 9.2.0.6 and earlier) as I had the joy of
learning today.  If you're new to standby/dataguard databases as I am, I
highly recommend reading Metalink note 260040.1.  Hopefully this will
help someone else avoid the pain I went through today.

Regards,
Brandon