Benefits of sub partitioning by hash

  • From: "Rob Dempsey" <Rob.Dempsey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:16:16 +0100

Hi

Oracle Version 10g2

We have a typical sales items type table that is partitioned by date and
has local bitmap indexes on product code and site code.

I was wondering what are the benefits of sub partitioned by hash on
either the customer number or the order number?

Typical queries just sum up quantities sales over a give date range.
However we do have some queries which will self-join the table i.e. For
a given order what other products are in that order

We do use parallel hints in the queries as well

Any insight will be much appreciated

Rob