Async IO on Linux

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:40:14 -0400

I'm testing 10gR2 on a new Linux box.  I decided to fiddle with enabling
async IO.  To test the async IO, I imported a table and I also ran
several queries . I ran these tests one at a time (e.g. the queries and
imports were not running simultaneously).  I see NO performance
difference for my import or queries with async IO enabled.  I expected
to see some performance difference (meaing change in elapsed time).
Does async IO only help when you have multiple sessions performing IO
simultaneously?

Redhat Linux 2.6.9-5.ELsmp
Oracle 10.2.0.1.0

I enabled async IO as follows:

$cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
$ln -s /usr/lib/libaio.so.1 skgaio.o
$make PL_ORALIBS=-laio -f ins_rdbms.mk async_on

filesystemio_options =asynch
disk_asynch_io=true

Stats change when I check slabinfo, so it appears as though async io is
enabled:
cat /proc/slabinfo | grep -e kio -e name

As a side note, enabling the deadline scheduler DID reduce the time it
took for an import (elevator=deadline in /etc/grub.conf).  The import
went from 26 minutes to 11 minutes.

Thank you,
Jay

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use
of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message
or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail
message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent
that it relates to their official business.