Adding column and updating a huge partitioned table.

  • From: Michael Cunningham <napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@freelists org" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 18:46:15 -0800

It sounds crazy to me, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I have a table that is over 1.2 TB with 64 hash partitions.

If you have a great method for this I'd love to hear it.  Oracle 12.1.0.1
enterprise on Linux 6.5 with SSD storage.

I need to add a column and populate the column with data from a function.
It's a data warehouse so I can prevent DML during this time (one partition
at a time), but cannot prevent during DML during the update of all 64
partitions at once.

I also need an index on this new column.

I sure would appreciate all the input I can get on this topic because I
feel like I'm missing something and there must be a better way of doing
this.

During a test it took be 6 hours to update the data in a single partition
in a test environment.  That comes out to around 700 hours for all 64
partitions.  Please help.

--
Michael Cunningham