RE: Active/Active Site A/Site B using SRDF

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:22:46 -0400

Yeah, there's no good way to do that at a storage level - you can
*replicate* datafiles using SRDF, but the far side will be marked
read-only.  You could do bidirectional SRDF, so something like

db1 (source) ------> (readonly copy of db1)
(readonly db2)  <------ db2 (source)
 *array 1*   <--------------->  *array 2*

But bidirectional SRDF requires, as I recall, dedicated fibre channel
ports in both directions, so you use more IO and use more channels, and
you STILL don't get data synchronization.  I have seen some products
claim to allow bidirectional read-write synchronization, but I can't
imagine the performance impact isn't devastating.

Matt

                From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                EMC SRDF does not support active/active with neither
synchronous nor asynchronous configurations.  When you have an SRDF
environment your R1s (near side) are writeable while your R2s (the far
side) are not.

                If you want to do active/active sites, you can do a RAC
stretch cluster using either long distance Fibre channel (bleh) or iSCSI
(much better), or you can do things at an application level.  .