RE: Access Oracle from Excel

  • From: "TJ Kiernan" <tkiernan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-db-l" <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:56:39 -0500

How big is the list and how often are you going to need to do this?

If you're going to need to do this on an ongoing basis and the list may
be large, then an external table would work quite nicely. (I'm not sure
if .xls will work, so you may need to convert to CSV).

You'll need to predefine the table to include the PO and the additional
columns you'll be pulling out of the database first, but then the
procedure becomes fairly simple.

1.       Place the file in the directory you've configured your external
table to use (and name the file as configured)

2.       Update the external table joining the external po# = database
po#

3.       Profit!

The other thing I might try would be linking tables (I know it works in
Access, but I don't know about Excel).  I like this approach less
because linking MS Office to Oracle requires ODBC.

HTH,

T. J.