AW: ASM # of Files

  • From: "Torsten Rosenwald" <torsten.rosenwald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <Lisa.Koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:48:04 +0200

Hola Lisa,
Imho, the DR requirements argument is rather strong, I would not argue
against that...;-)
You may find the ASM limits here:
I'll copy them for your convenience:
63 disk groups in a storage system

10,000 ASM disks in a storage system

4 petabyte maximum storage for each ASM disk

40 exabyte maximum storage for each storage system

1 million files for each disk group

Maximum files sizes as shown in the following table:

Disk Group Type  Maximum File Size
External redundancy      35 TB
Normal redundancy        5.8 TB
High redundancy  3.9 TB
hth (at least a bit:-))

> However, one limitation has been placed on me:  the size of the files
presented to ASM will be limited to 33G due to DR requirements.

> I can't find the limit to the total number of files ASM can manage.  The
only limitation I found was that a diskgroup is limited to 10k (or

> was it 1k?) files - probably more than I will manage in the next few years
for this implementation.