ASM installation problems: re: Further adventures in the world of RAC

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:36:02 -0500

I found Bill Wagman's
thread<//www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/04-2007/msg00205.html>to
be quite interesting, especially since we are hitting a similar
problem
now. I filed the SR (6395660.992) first in the hopes that someone at Oracle
Support will eventually get around to it. =)

Hardware/software:
RHEL4 (Nanant) running on 2 Dell 2950's, gigabit nic
Stock Oracle 10.2.0.1 for clusterware and asm oracle home

CRS install went just dandy, including all of K Gopal's suggest cluvfy
steps. The ASM install was going nicely until I hit the DBCA, at which point
the ASM instance on node 2 could not start because it could not mount the
disks. After digging around and finding Varga's
blog<http://blogs.oracle.com/AlejandroVargas/newsItems/viewFullItem$126>,
I did some homework with my sysadmin and configured /etc/sysconfig/oracleasm
to exclude the scsi drivers from our linux multipath (not EMC PowerPath)
scans. So, how do I get my ASM instance to mount the disks after solving
that little riddle? I am looking through K Gopal's book (and now we have
Julian Dyke's book as well); I am sure the answer is in there somewhere, but
if someone wants to give me a little hint as to what page, that would be
cool. *grin*

For those interested in nitty-gritty details, here is the current error:
SQL> ALTER DISKGROUP ALL MOUNT;
ALTER DISKGROUP ALL MOUNT
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
ORA-15063: ASM discovered an insufficient number of disks for diskgroup
"DATA"

From alert.log
NOTE: cache registered group DATA number=1 incarn=0x0e9a9f02
Wed Jun 27 17:08:20 2007
ORA-15186: ASMLIB error function = [asm_open],  error = [1],  mesg =
[Operation not permitted]
Wed Jun 27 17:08:20 2007
ORA-15186: ASMLIB error function = [asm_open],  error = [1],  mesg =
[Operation not permitted]
Wed Jun 27 17:08:20 2007
ERROR: no PST quorum in group 1: required 2, found 0
Wed Jun 27 17:08:20 2007
NOTE: cache dismounting group 1/0x0E9A9F02 (DATA)
NOTE: dbwr not being msg'd to dismount
ERROR: diskgroup DATA was not mounted

I have also looked at Metalink notes:
*391136.1
**309815.1
**353423.1 - this one might be helpful, but since node1 appears to be ok, I
am not so sure about dropping the diskgroup
*398622.1 - I saw a reference for this, but cannot find the note itself.

TIA. Hopefully, I am missing something obvious.

--
Charles Schultz