Re: A Tale of Two SQLs

  • From: <solbeach@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:29:42 -0400

I had a similar issue  a couple of months ago.
My problem was that a few "popular" tables,
which are regularly updated/accessed by most of the
application had INITRANS too low & sessions were going into
ENQUEUE wait state.

Run this simple SQL the next time a "slowdown" occurs...

SELECT DECODE(request,0,'Holder: ','Waiter: ')||sid sess,
         id1, id2, lmode, request, type
   WHERE (id1, id2, type) IN
       (SELECT id1, id2, type FROM V$LOCK WHERE request>0)
   ORDER BY id1, request

We had folks to started an UPDATE (got a lock)
and then literally went to lunch to 90 minutes!
Other sessions would hang quietly waiting for the resource.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
Archives are at
FAQ is at