Re: 750G disk details were leaked today

  • From: Steve Perry <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paulvallee@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:06:01 -0500

get used to it, it's the wave of the future :)
reminds me of when I got everybody mad because I wanted to stay with a bunch of 2GB drives instead of a few 18GB drives they wanted to give me - that was 7 or 8 years ago.
Fast forward to a couple of months ago where I was invited on a call where sales sold a 4 disk RAID5 (900 GB usable of local storage not SAN) to somebody that had 40 or 50 36GB drives. They asked if it work and I said "yes. very slowly, but it will work". I could hear the sales guys pagers go off "abort mission! abort mission!". I'm sure if they would have yanked my phone out of the wall if they had been closer. I was politely uninvited from the call. afterwards they couldn't believe it. I told them that I didn't have any details on # of users, transactions, IOPs... I used some generic numbers for the drive stats and their existing system was capable of 4000 or 5000 IOPs, while the "new" one was capable of 500 IOPs. I couldn't help but laugh until I realized it would eventually be my problem.
that's one from the stack of "If you want it really bad, that's the way you will get it -- really bad".

I know there's a lot more to calculating throughput, but I had to keep it simple and keep their attention.

On Apr 21, 2006, at 03:02 PM, Paul Vallee wrote:

Comrades:

As someone who has, more times than I can count, had to suffer through discussions on why an array made up of three huge disks in RAID-5 was not going to cut it for someone's performance-intensive database application, I was dismayed to notice today that Seagate has leaked an announcement of, get this, 750G disks. At 7200 RPM. I wept unabashedly and at length.

I think we must fight against huge disks for databases with all of our (admittedly quite meagre as DBAs) might and power. We will almost certainly lose this battle, again, obviously, but not without a fight. As as such, in the tradition of BAARF, I have launched BAHD for DBs, the Battle Against Huge Disks for Databases.

Please join me in my fight against huge disks for databases. Or not.

http://www.pythian.com/blogs/170/750g-disks-are-bahd-for-dbs-a-call- to-arms

Thank you,
Paul