Re: 10g show stoppers

  • From: Byron Pearce <pearceb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:50:55 -0500

Ron:
Yes, there is an ASM instance that manages the disks.

Our company put together a high-level presentation on ASM a couple of
months ago for presentation at an Oracle event.  It is not a
kernel-level nuts and bolts internals presentation (it was for a mixed
audience of technicians and managers), but it does provide an overview
of what ASM is and how it works.  There is a basic walk-through on how
to set it up, query information in it once it is setup, etc.

You can snag the PDF off of our website if you're interested:

    http://www.tenure.com/techloads/10g_ASM_Tenure.pdf

I hope this helps answer some of the questions.

Ron Rogers wrote:

>Tanle,
> Thanks for the info. That is the method I thought ASM used when you
>said that ASM could handle the archlogs.
>I don't have ASM installed on my play box yet. If I remember correctly
>ASM is a separate install and is started
>seperately from the Oracle instance then they talk to each other.
>Thanks again,
>Ron

>ASM is using raw devices. It's not possible to (simply) extract
>datafiles
>nor archivelogs from an ASM managed device, but Oracle knows the
>internal
>format of the it and knows where the blocks of its "files" are stored
>on the
>device.
>
>You can use RMAN to back up archivelogs and datafiles from an ASM
>device, no
>OS copying is allowed.
>
>I personally do like ASM and haven't seen any showstopper-bugs, but
>I've not
>implemented a large RAC+ASM in production yet, only few two node ones
>on
>linux servers (I don't trust OCFS, I have seen too much trouble with
>it).
>
>Tanel.

Byron Pearce                         mailto:pearceb@xxxxxxxxxx
Tenure Systems, Inc.                 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."