10g - ora-01097 during shutdown immediate

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:45:26 -0400

strange thing happened today in testing 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4> patch 5
Std Ed on ms w2k adv svr.
(this patch included a bug fix that we needed)

started up a new session with sqlplus.
connected as sysdba.
selected against v$database, v$instance.
disabled restricted session
tested login with an unprivileged account - ok.
made a parameter change in the init.ora.
going to cycle it for the change to take effect.

SQL> shutdown immediate
ORA-01097: cannot shutdown while in a transaction - comit or rollback first

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.

no database links in use, no distributed transactions.
how could I have a transaction open in this session with no DML applied, or
selects across db_links?
there were no other sessions in the database, except for background jobs.

I did check out Note:310956.1 but that did not seem to apply.

cold backups are not in use there, but it sure seems like if I were using a
scripted cold backup routine, that I'd want to throw in a commit/rollback
prior to the shutdown immediate.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?

I'm thinking that a likely recipient of blame would be a logon trigger that
did not commit, but after logging onto a new session, there are no active
transactions in the system ... and now I am not permitted to shut this down
until after close of business to test further.

Paul