Re: 10046/10079 Tracing understanding - SOLVED

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brian_wisniewski@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:49:55 -0700

Nice piece of work Brian, congratulations.

Can you explain a bit more about the 'fixed length' of a char?

CHAR in PL/SQL defaults to 1 character.
eg.

declare
x char;
begin
x := 'AB';
dbms_output.put_line(length(x));
end;
/

This will fail with
ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
ORA-06512: at line 4

If it is declared like this then I understand the problem:

declare
x char(32767);
begin
x := 'AB';