RE: 10046 - Unable to trace JDBC thin client?

  • From: "Tracy Rahmlow" <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:55:40 -0500

Hi Mladen,
I have traced all the sessions generated by the connection pool.  And even
then I do not receive any trace data in any file.  If a new connection
were to be spawned it would not be timed out until 30 minutes were up.  No
additional sessions were spawned after the application was invoked.
Leading me to believe that I had all the possible sessions traced.
Therefore, if the application was initiating 1 or more calls, I think I
would have hit at least one statement and the results should have been
logged in 1 or more trace files.

"Gogala, Mladen" <Mladen.Gogala@xxxxxxxx>
08/17/2004 09:59 AM

        To:     Tracy Rahmlow@AMEX
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: 10046 - Unable to trace JDBC thin client?

(sorry for sending private message, but Ecartis bounced
the one directed to the list)
Oracle supports tracing of a session connected to
a dedicated server, not a client per se. Now, when
you have an application server that is essentially a
web server plus a servlet engine, you have to ask
yourself one question: how is SQL being executed?
The answer is the following:
- User sends a request to the application server, which
in process of fullfilling that request, sends a SQL to
the first available database server (allocated by the
application server, when pools are configured).
- Data from that request is processed and sent back to the user.
- user generates the new SQL request, which is handled by the
first free server, not necessarily the same one as the last one.

That means that websphere users have their SQL statements executed by
several processes with dedicated connections, and that all of the traces
belonging to a processes used by websphere can contain relevant
information.
The only way to group and gather the statements belonging to the same
module is to execute DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO and then gather statistics with
TRCSESS. That is not possible before 10g.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA