Re: Tablespace

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:05:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sandeil,

Hopefully I am understanding your question correctly- I do know that this
tablespace is home for MTL_MATERIAL_TRANSACTIONS, CST_ITEM_COST_DETAILS and
other transactions/items/shipping tables, (APPS_TS_TX_DATA) and their indexes,
(APPS_TS_TX_IDX.)

And if any of the workflow or Apps objects(start with WF_ or FND_) ended up in
these tablespaces, which is a problem and no matter what anyone says, I think
the workflow objects should NOT BE stored in the same tablespaces as the apps
schema objects, such as PO, BOM or ITM!  They are known hot spots that can
become heavily fragmented if you support businesses with high quantity of
transactions and shipping.

The other reason for heavy tablespace growth is due to not setting of the data
purging feature.  It is extremely important to get a sign off from all
management and finance before even looking into this, as it will remove all
journal entries of any data that is purged!  Here is a thread that points to
all the documents you should need:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1004903

As the transaction tables in high quantity transaction and shipping
environments can have high fragmentation in the indexes, a simple approach to
controlling the index tablespace may be to rebuild the indexes on a certain
schedule.  I did have good success with this in earlier versions and since it
was online, I was able to perform this task quarterly without an outage to any
service.  PO, ITM and the FND/WF indexes showed a large performance gain from
this practice, but remember, this is an "old-school" solution to this kind of
problem that not all DBA's agree with...

Hope this helps,
Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."