Re: Table Import when the Database is up

  • From: "Shastry(DBA)" <shastry17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:35:48 +0530

Yes why not? What is your exact requirement? Below details would help you:
If you have the table export dump, then you can always import in to database
irrespective of the status. Before one imports rows into already populated
tables, one needs to truncate or drop these tables to get rid of the old
data. If not, the new data will be appended to the existing tables. One must
always DROP existing Sequences before re-importing. If the sequences are not
dropped, they will generate numbers inconsistent with the rest of the
database. It is also advisable to drop indexes before importing to speed up
the import process. Indexes can easily be recreated after the data was
successfully imported.

You can also follow the below link for the complete Export/Import theory.

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Import_Export_FAQ

Thanks,
Ananth