Re: How to Partition an existing table

  • From: "P M Adil" <parvezmadil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:57:37 -0600

There are 3 steps involved to achive it as follows:

1. analyze your data in the existing table and decide which type of
partition is suitable to your data.  if your table has 5 years of data in it
then create a partition table containing 5 paritions (part_year96,
part_year97, part_year98, part_year99, part_year2000) based on range
partitioning -- on yearly basis.

2. load the data in each respective partion as follows:

insert into table customer partition part_year96
select * from customer where year='1996';
commit;

 insert into table customer partition part_year97
select * from customer where year='1997';
commit;

 insert into table customer partition part_year98
select * from customer where year='1998';
commit;

 insert into table customer partition part_year99
select * from customer where year='1999';
commit;

 insert into table customer partition part_year2000
select * from customer where year='2000';
commit;

3. drop table customer;

if required, create partition indexes on all the partition.

Have fun.