Re: How many of you do shutdown your EBS PROD to make a clone?

  • From: James Morrow <morrow.james@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:39:42 -0500

Generally speaking, my clones come from whichever backup suits our
purpose (end of month close, etc.).  In many cases, sites will have
a monthly maintenance window that is used to perform the backups and
to apply patches, etc.  At that point, a cold backup is taken and is then
used to refresh the lower instances ("QA", in particular).  This cold backup
may also be retained for audit/legal purposes for quite some time.

While I tend to agree with your statements about testing recovery, etc.,
many shops do have the luxury of downtime to perform a cold backup.
And, quite frankly, if I can have yet another backup process, I count
myself lucky.

It's also important to note that most shops don't have the luxury of using
BCV's (or any other "snapshot" technology).  (Although, quite frankly, I
am a big fan of those tools).

So, is there a benefit to cloning from a cold backup?  Yes.  Simplicity.
Is it by any means necessary, of course not.  Would I plan the shutdown/cold
backup JUST to feed my clones?  Of course not.  But, if you have a cold
backup to pull from, why not use it?

-- James
James J. Morrow | Senior Oracle Applications DBA | TriOra Group, LLC
morrow.james <at> gmail <dot> com
james.morrow <at> trioragroup <dot> com